Chief Executive Officer, Jacaranda Maternity
Jacaranda Health aims to set a new standard for maternity care in East Africa. We have a busy maternity hospital in Nairobi that has been globally recognized as one of the highest quality facilities in Africa and a regional hub for innovation in maternal health. Our ambition is to expand into a chain of high-quality affordable centers of excellence.
We are hiring for a talented and ambitious start-up CEO of our healthcare services division, which includes our hospital and community-facing operations. We seek someone with an entrepreneurial attitude who can manage a healthcare business profitably, maintain our commitment to world-class care, build a team, and lead expansion in Kenya and beyond. The job presents an opportunity to lead one of the most innovative hospitals in East Africa and build a health system with an amazing clinical team. This also involves an opportunity to work side by side with our non-profit wing doing healthcare innovation research, government partners, and global academic institutions.
- Strategic planning, growth and expansion: Guide the organization’s strategy and business model, and build a strong team capable of executing on our goals at scale. Help evaluate investments for new clinics and scale-up models, for bringing new services to the market. Work with the board to secure investment for expansion, and manage growth of a hospital network.
- Service delivery and quality: Bears ultimate responsibility for clinical governance, patient safety, compliance, and the overall delivery of high quality, cost effective services to consumers of Jacaranda Health. Maintain our reputation as the highest quality maternity care in East Africa. Create a culture of ongoing performance improvement, patient-centeredness, and consistency of quality of service provision.
- Business and financial leadership: Ensure that we are on track with goals for profitability, overall P&L oversight, work with our finance team to build excellent financial systems and controls, and drive cycles of forecasting, procurement, audit, and budgeting. Build our electronic systems – such as point of sale, inventory, and ERP – and business analytics.
- Human resources and talent growth: Oversee Jacaranda’s talent strategy. Work closely with the team on long-term planning, incentive structures, and infusing our HR operations with innovation and creativity. Mentor and develop the senior management team. Develop an organizational culture that is inclusive and embraces diversity – where all staff, whatever their background and role, feel supported, valued, listened to, empowered and involved and where the needs of patients are put first.
- Strategic Relationships: Manage strategic relationships with key external stakeholders – including academic research partners, insurers, real estate, referral institutions, and government partners.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Masters preferred
- Professional/ executive qualifications in advanced management, health systems management, strategic management or finance;
- At least ten (10) years’ executive management experience of significant teams;
- The attitude and enthusiasm of a start-up entrepreneur: this is not a behind-the-desk job -- you will be working hand in hand with a dedicated clinical team running a 24/7 operation, and will need to respond to emergencies, meet deadlines, and inspire investors.
- Health sector industry knowledge with clear understanding of business dynamics of the health sector
- Excellent financial management orientation with the skills to:
- Interpret and derive business insight from financial statements
- Oversee finance and accounting teams: budgeting, financial controls, cost accounting
- Build financial fluency and responsibility among line managers
- Develop financial models and projections for strategic planning
- Technology acumen to help make strategic decisions around our business and clinical systems that support our services.
- People management skills and the ability to grow and mentor a senior team, create an organizational culture that supports the core values of Jacaranda;
- Strong systems orientation: develop new or enhance existing clinical and operational strategies, business plans, marketing, policies and programs;
- Ability to engage and communicate strategically and build strong relationships with stakeholders;
- Public relations and stakeholder engagement skills.
A competitive package, including performance incentives, as well as an opportunity for shareholding in the hospital venture.