Human Resources Manager (HR Manager)
Jacaranda Health is a social venture that aims to set a new standard for maternity care in East Africa. We are combining business and clinical innovations to provide affordable maternity and reproductive health services to low-income urban women. We strive to be a data-driven company, improving our operational efficiency through informed decision making in service delivery and cost recovery. We are currently operating a maternity hospital in Nairobi and we will soon be expanding to other locations in the region. Please visit www.jacarandahealth.org for more details.
At Jacaranda Health, our people are our most valuable resource. The HR Manager will play an important and exciting role in supporting, growing and shaping that resource into a highly effective and mission-focused workforce. Under minimal supervision the HR Manager will be responsible for coordinating and performing a variety of technical, administrative and supervisory duties related to personnel operations, employment, employee relations, employee benefits and educational service functions. Specifically, the HR Manager’s key areas of responsibility will include:
- Take a proactive role in understanding the organization’s HR needs, working diligently with department heads to recruit and induct new employees.
- Foster employee retention through the creation of a positive and engaging work environment, building relations with and between staff, promoting dialogue, addressing needs, and spearheading disciplinary action when needed.
- Initiate communication to Jacaranda staff regarding personnel policies, hospital regulations, and benefits programmes.
- Administer our performance evaluation program.
- Process payroll, incorporating statutory payments and staff benefits, and maintain all employee files.
- Develop and implement HR policies, ensuring compliance with Kenyan labour law.
- Understand the unique operating environment of a hospital and provide counsel to the Executive Team on developing policies and procedures regarding employment issues within that context, including accreditation and licensing regulations.
- Submit regular reports to the Executive Team, tracking progress, analyzing trends and providing key insights into HR at Jacaranda.
- Work with the Executive Team to develop and implement the organization’s HR strategy, including administrative direction for the development and delivery of education and training programs, employee recruitment, and budgetary considerations.
- Keep on the lookout for new and interesting ways of improving HR; this might include exploring different avenues for talent acquisition, piloting new tools to collect employee satisfaction data, recommending new systems for operational efficiency, or proposing creative team building events.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a strong ability to resolve conflict.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of legal and operational aspects of personnel administration and labor relations
- Good at problem solving; able to find creative and pragmatic solutions.
- Ability to be responsive and to prioritize tasks in line with the changing needs of the organization.
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel, as well as with HR Software.
- Fluent in English and Swahili.
- Passionate about fulfilling Jacaranda’s mission.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Healthcare Business or Personnel Administration or related field, required; Masters’ Degree preferred
- 5+ years HR management experience
- Previous health care management experience, preferred