Jacaranda Health is designing the future of maternity care for the patients who need it most.
We envision a world where all women and their newborns have access to high-quality, respectful, and affordable healthcare. Our mission is to make pregnancy and childbirth safer by transforming maternal healthcare in Kenya, and throughout East Africa. We own and operate high-quality, low-cost maternity hospitals in Nairobi, which have been independently rated as among the highest quality in Kenya. Since 2012, we have provided high-quality maternal health care to tens of 17,500 women and have delivered more than 2,500 babies at our facilities. We also work to build partnerships among maternal health providers – including high volume public hospitals – to replicate the systems and best practices we develop, and set new standards of care in the region.
We are seeking a passionate communications manager to join our dynamic team in Nairobi. We are looking for someone highly-motivated and willing to take a lot of initiative. You will be working with our global marketing/fundraising team and will be largely be responsible for helping us grow and manage our brand presence and provide ongoing creative support for all departments.
- Develop content (e.g., narrative stories, blog posts, infographics, videos, case studies) for Jacaranda’s website, blog, monthly e-newsletter and social channels that provide engaging information about our work, results and knowledge, which ultimately optimize visibility with key audiences from customers to donor partners.
- Provide ongoing design and creative support on in-house projects including impact reports, videos, brochures
- Work with program managers to lead knowledge management projects - capture and distill Jacaranda’s impact and innovations in a clear and creative way.
- Serve as the primary editor for Jacaranda’s blog and newsletter. In addition to editing and writing, the communications manager will be responsible for creating the content strategy, setting the editorial calendar and using data-driven approaches to increase engagement for these external communications channels.
- Manage, monitor, and grow Jacaranda’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.
- Work with programs staff to support the execution of communication deliverables (e.g., press releases, social media, blogs, brochures, etc.). Support the development and execution of product- and content-specific marketing plans for various project teams.
- Develop and implement media outreach strategies for targeted bloggers, thought leaders and journalists.
- Continually refresh the content and improve the visual presentation on Jacaranda’s website (in collaboration with members of the technology group), ensuring the site always contains accurate, current and engaging content.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications or a related field. Non-profit experience a plus, as well as a portfolio of communications materials.
- 4-6 years of experience in communications related work
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute campaigns on mainstream social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Knowledge of social media monitoring and measurement technologies, such as Hootsuite or SproutSocial.
- Demonstrative experience with creative design aspects related to website, social media and marketing
- Passion to learn and adopt the latest communications trends, strategies, platforms, technologies, tools, and techniques to improve communications effectiveness
- Demonstrated experience with photo editing and graphic design - knowledge of the Adobe suite is a plus! Experience with video production equipment and editing software a plus.
- Ability to create strong written content from complicated clinical or technical topics.
- Complete understanding of and facility using email marketing, social media and blogs.
- Experience updating web page content and databases.
- Media relations experience, including media sponsorship negotiation and pitching to local TV, print and radio